HSE Continue to Investigate Alton Towers Accident
Alton Towers theme park is closed for the second day as Health and Safety Executive Officers continue their investigation into Tuesday’s accident. A total of 16 people were hurt on the park’s £18million ‘Smiler’ ride when their carriage collided with an empty carriage on a low section of the track. Four people were seriously hurt in the collision and were airlifted to major trauma centres across the West Midlands.
Neil Craig, head of operations for HSE in the Midlands, said: “This was a major incident and members of the public have suffered serious injuries. Our role is to establish the facts. We will want to determine that those responsible for operating this ride have done what the law requires. We will also ensure that if there are any lessons to be learned they are shared as soon as possible.”
In other Health and Safety news, designer store Hugo Boss admitted liability for the death of a four-year-old boy who was crushed at their Bicester outlet village store when a 120kg mirror fell on him. Austen Harrison from Crawley had been playing with an unfixed steel framed fitting room mirror. On the request of Cherwell District Council, sentencing will occur at Oxford Crown Court with a provisional date set for June 19th. Oxfordshire Coroner Darren Salter had said in his narrative verdict that the incident was ‘an accident waiting to happen.’